Don’t lose your vote!

One of our affiliate unions, Unite the Union has produced a campaign in preparation for the 2024 general election where they encourage everyone to ensure they are prepared to vote and have everything they need.

We want to encourage all our members and supporters to make sure they have everything they need to have their say.

Register to Vote

You can register to vote in the UK provided :

  • You are aged 16 or over (or 14 or over in Scotland and Wales). *
  • You are also one of the following:
    • a British citizen
    • an Irish or EU citizen living in the UK
    • a Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission
    • a citizen of another country living in Scotland or Wales who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission

*Whilst you are eligible to register, you cannot vote until you’re 18 or over. If you live in Scotland or Wales, you can vote in some elections when you’re 16 or over

Click here to register to vote

How to Vote

The government’s website lists the 3 ways to vote:

Voting in person

In the weeks after an election is called, you should receive a polling card in the post, which will tell you the time and location for you to visit to make your vote.

Generally, the timings are 7am-10pm, you must arrive before the closing time and provided you are queuing by that time, you will be allowed to vote, you do not need to bring your polling card, but you may find it a helpful to keep it with you.

Since 2023 you must have accepted a photo ID to vote in person in the UK, accepted forms are:

  • a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • a driving licence issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands
  • a UK passport
  • a passport issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country
  • a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • a Blue Badge
  • a biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)
  • a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • a Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • an Anonymous Elector’s Document

You can also use one of the following travel passes as photo ID when you vote:

What if I don’t have a photo ID

We recognise that a number of our supporters may not hold any of these forms of ID and for those people applying for a Voter Authority Certificate is essential if you want to vote in person. you can apply for a voter’s authority certificate with just a National Insurance number or birth certificate.

Voting by Post

You must apply for a postal vote if you want to vote by post.  We recommend to ensure you don’t lose your vote, you make sure you vote by post, certainly, if you have a busy schedule or struggle to get out of the house from time to time.

How to apply for a postal vote

You can apply for a postal vote for one of the following:

  • a single election on a specific date
  • a specific period if you want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales
  • up to 3 years

You can:

Voting by Proxy

If you’re unable to vote in person you can ask someone to vote on your behalf. This is called a proxy vote. You can only apply for a proxy vote under certain circumstances, including:

  • being away on polling day
  • being registered as an overseas voter
  • having a medical issue or disability
  • not being able to vote in person because of work or military service

Your proxy should be someone you trust to vote on your behalf. You’ll need to tell them which candidate you want to vote for.

How to apply for a proxy vote

You can:

You must apply by:

  • 5pm, 6 working days before election day in England, Scotland or Wales

Apply for an emergency proxy vote

If the proxy vote deadline has passed you may be able to apply for an emergency proxy vote if any of the following apply:

  • you cannot vote in person because of a medical emergency or disability
  • you cannot vote in person because of your employment
  • the photo ID you were planning on using to vote has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed
  • you’ve not yet received a new or replacement photo ID you’ve ordered

For any other questions or issues you have in making applications to vote, in your first instance please contact the registration office.

Electoral Registration Officer

Town Hall
Station Road
CO15 1SE

01255 686586

Table of Contents